RE: Frame Header/Footer question

Subject: RE: Frame Header/Footer question
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "Meryl R. Cohen" <merylster -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:35:02 -0400

Meryl Cohen wrote:

> We are defining footers for our Frame template. One element we want is the
> book title. We can get this by using a variable, or by typing the name of
> the book manually in the appropriate places on the Master pages. However,
> what would be good is if we could pull the text of the BookTitle tag, used
> only in the cover page file. We get the Chapter title in this way, but this
> is obviously local to each file within the book.

Some people use a cross-reference to accomplish this, but I've always
thought that was overkill. In addition, I always hated seeing PDFs that
had a hyperlink on the bottom (or top) of every page that would take
the reader to a really non-useful place (the title page).

My own preference has always been to define the book title (and its
reference ID number, and the revision number, and the publication date)
as variables in the title page file and then simply import the variable
definitions to all the files in the book. Among other advantages, this
approach makes it very easy to share chapter files among multiple
books because there is nothing "hard coded" in any chapter file that
links it to only one specific book (which would be the case if I were
to insert the book title as a cross-reference to the title paragraph in
one specific title page file).

-Fred Ridder

Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList