Re: Where to download DITA?

Subject: Re: Where to download DITA?
From: "Yves Barbion" <yves -dot- barbion -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Ronquillo, Michael" <mronquillo -at- equitrac -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 23:40:08 +0200

Well, Michael, you cannot really "download DITA", simply because DITA
comprises A LOT:

- an OASIS standard
- an authoring and structuring method
- a publishing engine
- white papers, presentations
- DTDs, Schemas and much much more.

Basically, you cannot use the tools properly without understanding the DITA
authoring principles and the DITA content model. Therefore, I'd recommend a
good DITA training to get started, but if you want to learn it on your own,
this can be a way to go:

1. Download the DITA Open Toolkit (OT), the free publishing engine,
from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dita-ot
2. Download and install a (trial version of a) DITA editor, for
example FrameMaker or XMetal:
XMetal: http://na.justsystems.com/content.php?page=support-downloads
FrameMaker: http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/
DITA-FMx, a very handy DITA plug-in for FrameMaker which offers you
more functionality: http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/
3. Learn the basics of the DITA content model. See the URLs which I
sent you earlier, and also:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/CD01/langspec/common/alphalist.html
4. Check the DITA tutorials which are included in XMetal and
FrameMaker.

If you need any help or training, contact me off-list. We offer the
following web-based DITA classes:

- DITA in a nutshell: a 4-hour introduction into DITA that gives you
an overview of the key features of DITA, the DITA tools and authoring and
publishing mechanisms
- Authoring DITA content: a full day of training in which you learn
the basics. You create valid DITA topics of various information types and
you publish these, using the DITA Open Toolkit.

Good luck.

--
Yves Barbion
Documentation Architect