Re: For the Canadians...do I have to charge GST?

Subject: Re: For the Canadians...do I have to charge GST?
From: Carter Campbell <lists -at- soph-text -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:49:41 -0600

Kevin McGowan wrote:
> I am looking at a contract opportunity (first time contractor)...
>
> My question: do I have to charge GST if I have NOT registered myself as a sole-proprietorship?
>
> ie, can I just charge my hourly rate and pay income tax on it at the end of the year?
>
> All advice appreciated...I'm having trouble tracking down the "rules" about this stuff on government websites.

Hi Kevin;

First of all, are in Canada or the States?

If you are in Canada, it doesn't matter if you are registered as a
proprietor or not, you have to collect GST from clients if you make more
than $30,000.00 per year. This amount may have changed, I don't know,
but whether or not you collect GST is based on the amount you make in a
year.

If you are in the States, I am much less clear, but my understanding
(and I could be wrong) is that if you do more than a set amount of
business with Canada and Canadians, you have to collect and remit GST to
the Canadian government.

In both cases, you collect $X from your clients and remit that amount,
less the amount that you have paid in GST, at which point it can (and
often does) get more complicated.

Hope this helps a little.

Carter Campbell
Calgary Alberta