Estimating a project rate?

Subject: Estimating a project rate?
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:36:32 -0700

Hi All,

I've recently been contacted to provide a "one-voice" edit to a 450-page
technical book being published by a leading technical book publisher. The
chapters are to be written by several authors at a software development
firm, with yours truly providing the unifying touch. The work will all be
done on a telecommute basis, although I'll probably have to visit the
software firm at least once to say "hello."

If it were you, how much would you charge for such an undertaking? Years ago
I was one of many technical editors for Que's *Using CorelDRAW! 5.0*, for
which I received a dollar a page. Given that this project will require more
actual *writing*, I know that rate won't suffice. How can I best make this
worth my while without pricing myself out of the market? I also want to
float a rate that's attractive to the publisher, so as to encourage them to
want to use my services again, but don't want to underbid so low so as to
not get a respectable return from my efforts.

Your thoughts?

Jagdriver

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList