Re: Writing Corrective Actions for customers

Subject: Re: Writing Corrective Actions for customers
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:20:51 -0700

We write "product/service bulletins" when we want to
bring attention to changes to products or procedures.
These are usually broadcast to service providers or
customers, but if we need to send one to someone for
a specific instance, such as responding to an inquiry
or complaint, it can be attached to a covering letter.

If your client doesn't have such documents, I would
write one anyway and then create a "customer relations"
cover letter containing whatever statements the client
feels are needed to smooth over relations with the
customer under the client's signature. This helps create
the impression that the customer's complaint has led
to the client making real changes in the product or to
its user instructions even if all the letter is doing is
politely pointing out that the customer was using the
product incorrectly. Deliver a draft of the letter to the
client for review and approval just like any other
technical document, and once the content is blessed
either turn it over to the client's internal admins to be
turned into an official-stationary letter if there are any,
or if there are no admins, complete the formatting
yourself.

Gene Kim-Eng