Searching remote servers in your own company

Subject: Searching remote servers in your own company
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:43:14 -0400

Hello all you folks who currently work for multi-office companies, or
who have worked for such companies in the past few years.

I often have to search my own hard disk to find files with
<search-string> in the content, or in the filename. It takes however
long it takes (depending on how many partitions and folders I asked to
search) and it comes back with some results. If I do the same search on
a company fileserver (that lives in another city), the search eventually
times out... but only after tying up the bandwidth for my co-workers.
That's because all the search action happens on my computer, using my
CPU, but creating millions of transactions down the fiber to the server.

It strikes me that there _must_ exist server-side search utilities

- that can be invoked by remote users, within the corporate
firewall (to prevent DoS attacks),

- that uses ONLY resources ON the target server, and

- that return results to the requestor in some compact form
that doesn't tie up intranet bandwidth.

Am I dreaming in color?

I mean, what's a multi-core or multi-processor server _for_ if it's not
to do things like running a search while still serving files to all the
other folks in the company?

or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList