RE: Searching remote servers in your own company

Subject: RE: Searching remote servers in your own company
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'McLauchlan, Kevin'" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:37:26 -0700

> From: McLauchlan, Kevin

> Apparently a lot of fascinating research has been done and
> continues to
> be done. People who are _very_ visual tend to dream mostly
> in color (or
> report so if you wake them and ask them right away), but there's a lot
> of variance.

Well, I think this is fascinating.

> If you have reason to care about color, the thing that you are looking
> at will be in color, but stuff off to the side will have little or no
> color (much like waking vision in low-light surroundings).

My dreams are very colorful and clear for me. I need prescription lenses,
but in my dreams, I see very clearly and wake up disappointed when the world
is back to blurry.

> Similarly, if you are highly auditory, tending to perceive
> the world and
> learn from it via your ears, then your report your dreams in terms of
> the soundscape and barely remember the blur of color and shapes that
> dressed up the sidelines of what you were hearing.

I hear what I'm dreaming too. Some dreams may be more focused on the visual
rather than the auditory, but every morning, I hear a complete song whether
it is a song I like or not. Like, my brain has a jukebox and has picked out
a theme song for the day. I think that is auditory. Usually, I wake up and
I am surprised that I knew all of the words and the melody for a song that
my brain has just played for me in its entirety.

> That is, if you are not highly auditory, then conversations tend to be
> "telepathic" - you receive the meaning and just understand the person
> to-have-spoken, but you weren't attending to individual audible words.

I can hear and carry on conversations in my dreams.

I just had a dream last night about goldfish and little birds. I have
goldfish in a little pond in my backyard and my cats want to catch little
birds, so there is a possible reason for these dreams. My dream featured
colorful birds that turned out to be goldfish on the roof of my house that I
"rescued" by putting them in my swimming pool.

I certainly saw the colors and the patterns of both the birds and fish,
although they vacillated between species. I also smelled the pond-like
scent of the rain gutters that the fish and birds were stuck in. I could
hear everything, including the birds, as well, and the texture of the
animals was very pronounced although the two types kept changing into each
other species. So I would have a an elaborate, multi-colored and patterned
goldfish like a fat shubunkin with long fins that would change into a bird
of the same color with long feathers.

When I was sure that I had a fish in my hand, I put it in my clear blue pool
that would turn into a natural river when I was freeing the fish. The
birds, I would just help to fly away. There is absolutely no way I could
have this dream in black and white, or without sound, smell, or tactile
sensibilities. All of the features were important to me during the dream.

> Naturally there are plenty of exceptions, notably among people who are
> very strongly visual (at the expense of other senses), very strongly
> auditory (at the expense...), very strongly slanted toward the tactile
> or proprioceptive sense. But then you already get a mirror of those
> orientations in the speech of the person. You know, the old "I feel
> that you mean" versus "I hear you saying" versus "I see what you're
> saying"...

I usually respond, "I understand what you are saying."

> Here's an anecdote that's probably in the archives, but it
> sorta fits.
<...>
> She was saying that her boyfriend learned by hearing, so
> listening with
> his eyes closed was his best strategy. He did just fine on his first
> jump.

That is fascinating. I wonder if Tech Writing should do more to incorporate
auditory learning or other styles of learning as a mode of writing? :)

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList