Re: STC is broken?

Subject: Re: STC is broken?
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:17:43 +1000

Geoff Hart wrote:

> A fairer description based on what the author actually wrote would be
> not that STC is broken, but rather that the author's local chapter
> isn't doing a good job of meeting the needs of its members _for in-
> person meetings_. Possibly the members get everything they need from
> its newsletter and other activities, or by belonging to special
> interest groups (SIGs)that focus on areas that are more important to
> them. That's somewhat inevitable; STC members are a diverse group,
> with (at last count) ca. 20 SIGs.

Certainly the effectiveness and quality of local
STC chapters are going to vary widely depending
on local enthusiasm, demographic density, and so
on. All national volunteer organizations have this
concern. However, many people like myself don't even
have a local chapter. I think a lot of people have
STC membership for reasons other than local chapter
meetings: the annual convention, Intercom (both of
which the article author mentioned), SIG mailing
lists, online resources, and networking and job
placement opportunities. Even if that were all
STC provided, I think the membership fee would be
worthwhile for many people. Saying that STC is
"broken" because a local chapter is not effective
or meeting a particular person's need seems a bit
extreme.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList