RE: Dream colors... Was: Searching remote servers in your own company

Subject: RE: Dream colors... Was: Searching remote servers in your own company
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Bastette" <bastette -at- sonic -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:00:55 -0400

Joyce Bastette said:

> McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:
>
> > I saw an article not long ago in
> > one of the populist science magazines, showing
experimentally-derived
> > sense 'pictures' that the researchers think are the actual
component
> > "layers" of the eventual composite image that we construct. There's
one
> > for edge transitions, another for color, a third for.... well, I'd
have
> > to find the article, but the illustrations were nothing like what
we
> > think we see. Yet, experimentally, they could be presented and
would
> > combine in reproducible ways.
>
> I'd really like to read that article, if you could find it, or
remember
> which magazine it was in.

I would too, but the paper magazine hit the recycle bin a few months
ago, and I can't recall which (of several) it might have been. I'm not
subscribed; I just grab from the magazine rack when I'm short of reading
material and something on the cover catches my eye.

I tried Googling yesterday, when Linda asked me the same question, but
had no luck. The content might be hidden behind a login-only site.

My recollection is that the authors deconstructed, by experimental means
(possibly using animals and damaged humans, but don't quote me) what the
optic nerve delivers when certain standardized (for their purposes)
images are viewed.

They came up with a realization that the eye does more pre-processing -
it's not just a passive converter of photons-to-nerve-impulses - than
previously believed, and that separate component systems deliver
separate "sub-images" that are then recombined in the main body of the
visual cortex. Among other effects, this resulted in increased
bandwidth in the vision process.... hope I'm not conflating with other
articles, now.

Drat.

KM
or disclosing it.