RE: What about Technical Writer vs Communicator?

Subject: RE: What about Technical Writer vs Communicator?
From: David Hailey <david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu>
To: "Hemstreet, Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 12:30:58 -0600

Deborah says:
"When I was working overseas, I fought long and hard to have my job title changed from writer to 'COMMUNICATOR'."

I agree that we should always be technical communicators first, and we should press for that job title and abandon "technical writer." I've done research in this area with my classes, and implies that no communications job is in more danger of being outsourced than "technical writer." Like copywriter and graphic designer, the majority of technical writers may be freelancers in the future (if it is not already true).

I suggest that being technical communicators gives us the opportunity to expand our job descriptions, be more innovative, and make ourselves more valuable for the company, less vulnerable to outsourcing. A technical communicator can bone up on information technology and move into a position that involves managing both writing and information technologies. Or the technical communicator can come up to speed with interactive animation and videographic technologies and move the company's communication into the 21st century. In either case, the job title still fits.

David E. Hailey, Jr., Ph.D.
Associate Professor -- Professional and Technical Writing
Utah State University
dhailey -at- english -dot- usu -dot- edu

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList