RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 31, Issue 6

Subject: RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 31, Issue 6
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 21:56:46 +1000

Lauren wrote:

> Michael,
>
> What are you referring to as "abstractions"?

"Business writing" and "technical writing".

> Are you having trouble with
> the premises of my argument or my examples of the different types of
> writing.

Both and neither. I'm having trouble with non sequitur and nonsense.

> You haven't stated why it would be pointless to not distinguish technical
> writing from business writing.

No, I haven't. It would be pointless to do so because I never said it. What
I said is that it is sometimes useful to make the distinction, and sometimes
pointless to make the distinction.

> I would never agree that the two are
> intertwined in the same project.

I believe you. However, they often are, with or without your agreement.
Likewise, they often are not.

>If that were true, then a business could
> hire a proficient, purely technical writer with no business writing
> experience to produce a business plan.

This is non sequitur. A business can hire anyone at all to do anything at
all, irrespective of any point made by me or anyone else about the
relationship between business writing and technical writing, or anything
else.

> Additionally, I have rarely seen cases where business writing projects
were
> are part of technical writing projects.

You're misquoting me again. I referred to cases wherein business writing and
technical writing were both required for the same project.

Your reading skills aside, the fact is that I myself have, over the years,
worked on many writing projects that contained elements best described as
technical writing alongside elements best described as business writing. I
have also delivered projects consisting of "pure" business writing, and
others consisting of "pure" technical writing. That this is all new and
strange to you or to anyone else does not convince me that I am a victim of
false-memory syndrome. I was there. I wrote that stuff. It was as I say it
was.

And now I wish to end this long-running and pointless exchange of
incomprehension and disbelief with you, Lauren.

--
Mike West
Melbourne, Australia

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList