RE: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken

Subject: RE: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken
From: "Hemstreet, Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>
To: "Keith Hood" <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:10:41 -0400

Hi Keith,

Having done medical writing for many years, your statement "Technical
writing is not meant to be used in an adversarial setting" is not
exactly true.

Also, from what I understand, "Everyone involved wants it to be
definitive and final. It is supposed to provide certainty about a
subject." is EQUALLY true of legal writing. Perhaps even more so. Court
cases have been won because a comma arguably changed the meaning of a
clause. Every word (of, for, the, a) take on meaning of consequence.

Much of the writing that I had to put in user manuals had to take into
consideration the potential for an adversarial setting. In fact, I
often had to insert statements from our lawyers or regulatory people -
all for one small purpose: If anyone tried to take us to court for
something - they would not win because we had adequately warned them.

Sometimes the lawyers and regulatory people accepted my suggestions for
clearer text, sometimes not... But we actually did have a court case
against us, that was not one, because I was able to show that we had
indeed documented the disputed issue in SEVERAL places, in "legalese",
"regulatorese", and "userese"...

Obviously I wasn't working on a document with the line numbering and
often obtuse wording... But the argument COULD be made that legal
documents require a specific technical language, as do engineering
documents.

I agree - rarely do we see a technical writer handling legal writing per
se... But that does not mean they cannot, will not, or that if they did,
it is not, technical writing/communication....

Just my thoughts on this...

Deborah