RE: Usage of perfect in TW

Subject: RE: Usage of perfect in TW
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Ihor Rozdil" <badspike -at- mail -dot- ru>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 15:02:06 -0600

Ihor Rozdil wrote:

> Most best practices recommend to use simple present while writing
> Simple past is also welcome. What about present perfect, has anyone
> some recommedations on that? Please vote for one of the following
> of the same sentense:
> 1. Aftet the installation has completed, restart your computer.
> 2. After the installation is completed, restart your computer.
> 3. After the installation completed, restart your computer.
> Thanks.

I think option 2 is better than option 1, but I don't see any good
reason for using passive voice.

Option 3 is grammatically incorrect (it may be a typo), but could be
made tolerable by changing one letter:

3. After the installation completes, restart your computer.

But I vote for Sean Brierly's version, which is much better than any of
the above:

> After the installation finishes, restart your computer.

IMHO, etc.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom

documentation. Boost your productivity!

or visit

Usage of perfect in TW: From: Ihor Rozdil