RE: Developing training materials

Subject: RE: Developing training materials
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: <chrismorton11 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Rob Hudson'" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 18:07:17 -0700

I wouldn't do double-sided because that gets messy when writing on both
sides and referencing is easier without having to flip over pages. I have
done handouts with one slide and a lined page beneath the slide to make
note-taking easier. The three slide with notes on the right also work, but
the slides are sometimes too small. A study guide or mini-manual is good.
Exercises or a little workbook of exercises, especially if they are
incorporated into the presentation are good. One-page FAQs, helpful hints,
or "things to remember" are good.

What are some of things that you found most useful from presentations that
you have attended? Incorporate those, too.

Once you have a good idea of things to use, then trim down your selection of
materials to the detailed handout (like your manual or study guide), the
notes handout (your PowerPoint presentation handout or whatever graphical
thing you have printed), the one-page helpful document, and possibly one
other thing. The main thing is to keep is simple, so about 3 take aways
that are distinctly different but work well together are good.

Lauren


> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+lauren=writeco -dot- net -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+lauren=writeco -dot- net -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> ] On Behalf Of Chris Morton
> Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 1:39 PM
> To: Rob Hudson; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Developing training materials
>
> I'd knock out a really *good* PowerPoint presentation with handouts
> featuring three slides per page and a space to the right of
> each slide for
> notes. Print them duplex. A take away CD of useful freebies
> is a nice touch,
> too... you could even put some live demos on it.
>
> > Jagdriver
>
>
> On 5/9/08, Rob Hudson <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was recently approached by a client who wishes to give a one-day,
> > 8-hour seminar to his clients about basic PC and Networking
> concepts.
> > He's asked me to develop the course for him based on an outline of
> > topics that he'd like to cover.
> >
> > What kinds of deliverables would such a project include? I've
> > considered some form of lesson plan, handouts, and
> "take-away" items,
> > but haven't ever "designed" a course before. This is for a small
> > company and will be delivered to about four to ten students per
> > session.
> >
> > Any resources for templates for this sort of thing? Or for
> pricing out
> > the effort of developing such a course?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rob
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help
> file formats or
> > printed documentation. Features include support for Windows
> Vista & 2007
> > Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> > http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
> >
> > True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> > Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> > documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
> >
> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
> >
> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > or visit
> >
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/salt.morton
> %40gmail.com
> >
> >
> > To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> >
> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> > http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
> >
> >
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help
> file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows
> Vista & 2007
> Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as lauren -at- writeco -dot- net -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/lauren%40wr
> iteco.net
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.


Follow-Ups:

References:
Re: Developing training materials: From: Chris Morton

Previous by Author: RE: Can I Get Your Input Please
Next by Author: RE: Can I Get Your Input Please
Previous by Thread: Re: Developing training materials
Next by Thread: RE: Developing training materials


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads