Re: TC vs TW

Subject: Re: TC vs TW
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 10:53:07 -0700

Do you really think that a professional organization can
persuade the unconvinced that they should hire its
members? Maybe I'm just the hard to convince type,
but anytime I've spent any time looking at or paid any
attention to information from such groups it's *after*
I've decided I need someone and am on the lookout
for resumes or guidelines for choosing a candidate.

As for "earning respect" for technical writing at a place
where I haven't been hired, I'd have to say I just don't.
By the time someone calls me, they already know they
need something I can do for them or they wouldn't have
called me, so what I do is concentrate on determining
what it is they need and how I can do it for them better
than someone else they may have called. And if their
situation is that some there have decided they need
it but the person they hire will need to convince others
who aren't on board about that need yet, then I am not
the candidate for them. I'm not joining a company to
evangelize to its management or its rank and file about
the value of documentation; I'm joining because the
company already understands their need and wants
someone who can get it done for them.

Gene Kim-Eng