RE: XML content management systems

Subject: RE: XML content management systems
From: "Ole Andersen" <ora -at- dita-exchange -dot- com>
To: "Yaakov Gelber" <yaacovg2007 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "Lech Rzedzicki" <xchaotic -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 21:12:56 +0200

Hi Yaakov and Lech

Please note that "SharePoint" is no longer "just" SharePoint. I've added a little information on the differences below for your convenience:

THE OLD SHAREPOINT
Will probably not meet your requirements, but...

THE NEW SHAREPOINT
called Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 Enterprise (MOSS) in combination with DITA Exchange, probably will?

REQUIREMENTS?
Up till now you have discussed a few requirements in this thread. If these requirements are the "only" requirements they can be easily be met by DITA Exchange and MOSS. The following features will illustrate why:

XML structure implemented? Yes; DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture) XML (DITA Map, DITA Topic, DITA Metadata...)
Storing native DITA XML in MOSS? Yes
Support for DITA specializations? Yes
Version control? Yes (on maps, topics and graphics)
Workflow engine? Yes (can be customized and built using the new SharePoint Designer tool)
User authentication? Yes (on a very granular level)
Reuse of content across publications and departments? Yes
Support for "where used"? Yes (on maps, topics and graphics)
Version differences? Yes
Publishing to PDF? Yes via DITA Open Toolkit or Word 2007
Publishing to HTMLhelp and other HTML formats? Yes via e.g. stylesheets
Publishing to other formats? Yes
Supporting Word 2007 as an editor? Yes (release date to be announced shortly)
Supporting FrameMaker as an editor? Yes
Supporting XMetaL as an editor? Yes
Supporting a forms-based browser editor? Yes
Collaborating with XML translation memory applications? Yes
Sold as SaaS (Software as a Service)? Yes, (â63 per user per months)
Sold as an in-house installed solution at the Customer server farm? Yes (â39 per user per months)

So all in all; a complete end-to-end single-source-publishing collaboration platform based on DITA, Word and SharePoint

Please let me know if I can assist with other details.

Best,
Ole

Best Regards
>< Content Technologies ApS