RE: Tool to create interactive demos?

Subject: RE: Tool to create interactive demos?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Mike Hamilton" <mhamilton -at- madcapsoftware -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 12:53:59 -0700

Thanks Mike! That's exactly what I had in mind. Unfortunately, I don't a
product of that description in Rocket's products list. I suspect they
morphed it into "RocketMyWeb".

Leonard C. Porrello


-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Hamilton [mailto:mhamilton -at- madcapsoftware -dot- com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:45 PM
To: Leonard C. Porrello
Subject: RE: Tool to create interactive demos?

Hi Leonard,

Back in the Blue Sky Software days there was a company called Rocket
Software or RocketSoft or some such that had a tool that did what you
are asking about. It basically created a transparent "interaction"
overlay layer on top of the actual software that would intercept mouse
clicks and keyboard actions. I know because at the time we almost bought
the technology from them. I have no idea if they are still around or not
of if they still have this product available but it might be a place to
start searching. If I remember correctly it worked well with C++
applications, it worked OK with VB applications but didn't work at all
with web applications. Of course a lot may have changed since this is
data and observations from years ago.

Good luck,

Mike Hamilton
V.P. Product Management
MadCap Software
mhamilton -at- madcapsoftware -dot- com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+mhamilton=madcapsoftware -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+mhamilton=madcapsoftware -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-
> l.com] On Behalf Of Leonard C. Porrello
> Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:37 PM
> To: David Hailey; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: RE: Tool to create interactive demos?
>
> I mean an application that can run with the software so that when the
> user is, say, prompted by the tutorial to enter values into a field,
> the
> tutorial will guide him to the field in the actual (embedded?) GUI.
The
> values the user enters will really affect the actual application. When
> the user is finished entering values for the given step, the tutorial
> software would notice and present the next step, etc.
>
> Leonard C. Porrello
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Hailey [mailto:david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:03 PM
> To: Leonard C. Porrello; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: RE: Tool to create interactive demos?
>
> Hi Leonard,
>
> Could you be more specific? Do you mean a tutorial for simulating a
> software or a tutorial that drives the software or one that can run
> parallel to the software or something else?
>
>
> David E. Hailey, Jr., Ph.D.
> Associate Professor -- Professional and Technical Writing
> Utah State University
> dhailey -at- english -dot- usu -dot- edu
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+david -dot- hailey=usu -dot- edu -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+david -dot- hailey=usu -dot- edu -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On
> Behalf Of Leonard C. Porrello
> Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:43 PM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Tool to create interactive demos?
>
>
> Does anyone know of a good tool for creating tutorials (similar to
> ViewletBuilder or Camtasia) in which actual GUIs can be embedded so
> that
> as the user works through the tutorial, he is actually working in the
> application?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Leonard C. Porrello
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
> or printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista &
> 2007 Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-
> l/david.hailey%40usu.ed
> u
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
> or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista &
> 2007
> Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
> mhamilton -at- madcapsoftware -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-
> l/mhamilton%40madcapsoftware.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.


References:
RE: InDesign woes: From: Leonard C. Porrello
RE: InDesign woes: From: WilliamFLawrence
Tool to create interactive demos?: From: Leonard C. Porrello
RE: Tool to create interactive demos?: From: David Hailey
RE: Tool to create interactive demos?: From: Leonard C. Porrello

Previous by Author: Best practices for hyperlinking in help?
Next by Author: RE: Best practices for hyperlinking in help?
Previous by Thread: Re: Tool to create interactive demos?
Next by Thread: RE: Tool to create interactive demos?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads