Tools: Tracking down copyright violations

Subject: Tools: Tracking down copyright violations
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: CEL <copyediting-l -at- listserv -dot- indiana -dot- edu>, techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 08:35:25 -0400

Just came across a fascinating service that most editors and writers
will be interested in: "CopyScape" (http://www.copyscape.com/). It's
a service that lets you enter the URL of any page containing your
intellectual property and search the Web to find out if anyone else
has republished it, with or without attribution.

Limited use is free, but they offer an unlimited paid service and a
CopySentry service that automates this process. I'm seriously
thinking about subscribing, since a quick test turned up some
disturbing results for my own site. (I probably shouldn't have turned
over that particular rock... sigh.)

Tip'o'the hat to Anne-Marie Concepcion, who published this in her
DesignGeek newsletter (http://www.senecadesign.com/designgeek/). Well
worth subscribing, as it's free and packed with all kinds of cool
stuff. Haven't attended any of her training classes, but if they're
as good as the newsletter, they're well worth investigating.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

Print version: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1505747

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList