Re: GUI: What should we call the "Central Area"?

Subject: Re: GUI: What should we call the "Central Area"?
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 15:08:42 -0700

See Chapter 1 of the *Microsoft Style Guide for Technical Writers*. Search
for this title and you'll find a PDF online.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM, <hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

> work space, work area, work pane, work frame
> task space, task area, task pane, task frame
>
> --
> ---------------hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net
>
> -------------- Original message ----------------------
> From: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
> > Our GUI application is designed as follows:
> >
> >
> > - Top of the application window:
> > - *Title/Status Bar*
> > - *Main Menu*
> > - Middle part of the application window
> > - Left side: *Navigation Tree* (it is there throughout the
> > application)
> > - Central area: an area that is changing when you click on the
> > relevant option on the navigation tree. This is essentially the
> area
> > of interest for the selected choice under the navigation tree.
> > This "central
> > area" has its own Title/Status Bar and also includes the main
> > toolbar. A as
> > such (even before my time) it has always been referred to as "the
> XYZ
> > window" despite the fact that it does not open up in its own
> separate
> > window.
> > - Bottom of the application window: Event list (trap table)
> >
> > The technical writer working with me thinks it is wrong to call this
> central
> > area the "XYZ Window" (despite the fact that this is what appears on its
> > title bar and the fact that the main toobar is at the top of it). He says
> > that it is not truly a window and is looking for another name for it.
> >
> > I have never had an issue with the "central area" being called a
> "window". I
> > view this sort of as an alternative as having a "pop-up window for the
> > relevant option" since this is the only thing that is changing in our GUI
> > application window (according to the seclection made under the navigation
> > tree) and especially since at the top of it there is the main toolbar and
> it
> > has its own title/status bar. (Note that toolbar is at the top of that
> > central area but and right underneath it you have the title/status bar)
> >
> > I was wondering if you think this is correct and if not, what should it
> be
> > called.
> >
> > Here is what is suggested instead:
> > - Central pane
> > - Main pain is ruled out (I don't know why)
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> > printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> > Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> > http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList<http://www.doctohelp.com/TechwrlList>
> >
> > True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> > Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> > documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
> >
> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net -dot-
> >
> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/hls_ut%40comcast.net
> >
> >
> > To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> >
> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> > http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
> >
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList<http://www.doctohelp.com/TechwrlList>
>
> True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/salt.morton%40gmail.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.


References:
Re: GUI: What should we call the "Central Area"?: From: hls_ut

Previous by Author: Re: Simple business animation software
Next by Author: Re: old school
Previous by Thread: Re: GUI: What should we call the "Central Area"?
Next by Thread: Re: RE: What should we call the 'Central Area'?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads