RE: old school

Subject: RE: old school
From: John Hedtke <john -at- hedtke -dot- com>
To: <fritillary -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Tammy Van Boening" <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- healthlanguage -dot- com>, "AL Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 17:09:12 -0700

At 04:56 PM 5/20/2008, fritillary -at- gmail -dot- com wrote:
>I am proud to say I have an 8" disk on prominent display in my home
>office. I've always been interested in "old tech" - so my dad found
>a bunch of 8" disks laying around at his work, and gave them to me,
>because I always wanted to see one. The capacity of the disks
>ranged from 512 bytes to 1K. I gave one to my boyfriend and he framed it.
> My dad tells a story of how he brought me into work when I was
> around 2 or 3, and I got into someone's desk drawer, and completely
> disorganized a co-worker's punch cards. Apparently these had to be
> fed into a computer in a precise order - yikes! I do not remember
> this event, but he has photos of me sitting in the drawer.
>I loved WordStar. I went through the whole tutorial and got pretty
>good at it, and used it a lot to write stories, poems, and school papers.
>Anyone here remember "Microsoft Bob"?

Yes, we were laughing at it before it came out. A friend at MS told
me that everyone knew it would be bad, but it was Bill's
fiance-at-the-time Melinda's idea, so you just didn't say too loudly
that it wasn't good.

I'd actually love to get a copy just to play with it now.

>Any former BBS geeks here?

I was there at the start of BBSes. I still have in the collection of
BBS stuff a list of all the BBSes in the Puget Sound area in late
1984. There were less than 20 of them. I ended up writing three
books about BBSes over the years and, just a few years ago, had the
pleasure of being featured in a documentary about the history of
BBSes (Take a look at It was a
lovely run and I met some great folks over the years because of them.

Yours truly,

John Hedtke

documentation. Boost your productivity!

or visit