RE: old school

Subject: RE: old school
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 13:21:40 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From:

[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin -dot- mclauchlan=safenet-inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-
> l.com] On Behalf Of Peter Neilson
> Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 19:44
> To: Lauren
> Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: old school
>
> Lauren wrote:
> > ... opener was called a church key. ...
> >
> > Churches forbade drinking ...
>
> As I had it from my father, the device was the key to the church that
> DID allow drinking: the can of beer itself. "Everyone should believe
in
> something. I believe I'll have another beer."

You probably don't come from New Brunswick, Canada, so that's two rather
disparate places (yours and mine) where pretty much the same lore was
passed on from the tribal elders. In one version that I heard, it was
the "key" kept on a peg or tied to the apron of the bar-tender.... for
those who weren't drinking whatever came from the tap. In my Dad's day,
it was quarts of Moosehead or Schooner, in proper brown glass bottles
(*).
The publican kept the "key" because he ensured that the beers were
opened on the premises for consumption there.

Kevin

(* and by the way, if you like Corona or one of the other beers that
comes in a clear bottle, never buy those open-topped six-packs, and
always select a carton from the middle of the stack/pallet that's likely
to have had minimal exposure to light... in its brief life.)
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList