RE: What do you guys think of STC's new definition for technicalwriter?

Subject: RE: What do you guys think of STC's new definition for technicalwriter?
From: "Hemstreet, Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>
To: "Milan Davidovic" <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:20:19 -0400

<original message at bottom of post>
Perhaps also education? Where I used to work in Israel - my colleagues
felt that they had hired someone ABOVE the standard because they had a
"Technical Communicator", whereas, others employed "writers"...

By the way... I never used to be one to hang all of my certificates on a
wall... But I learned in Israel that, at least there, it impressed
people. I didn't have to say a word... I don't know about here in the
states though... If I hung all my certificates on a wall, what do you
think the general reaction would be... Culture has its implications...

By the way, my job title and MA were also quite important when I was
doing volunteer work teaching conversational and discussion style
English to Chinese students from the mainland. The more degrees and the
more extravagant the title, the more respect they gave to different
people...

So, I guess culture and context impact if we define ourselves as
technical writers or technical communicators.

My step-daughters laugh at me being a communicator... They say they
don't understand ME at all! <smile>

Deborah