RE: Seen the STC Survey on May 22? (Was: TC definition)

Subject: RE: Seen the STC Survey on May 22? (Was: TC definition)
From: Michael West <WestM -at- conwag -dot- com>
To: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:52:12 +1000

Fred Ridder wrote:

> Computer gaming software [...] seems to be
> a very long way from information technology in my book.

Amazing.

> I suppose you
> could lump all of computer software under some umbrella like "computer
> sciences".

No, I couldn't. Sciences are disciplines. Software is technology.
Information technology, to be specific.

> But most definitions of information technology that I've seen
> have focused on computers and networks that support enterprise and
> business processes or the storage, cataloging, and retrieval of large
> amounts of information.

Software is at the very core of everything you are describing. None of it
can happen without software.

Whether the information retrieved is a "large" or a "small" amount is
irrelevant. It is software that stores and retrieves it.

Recommended reading:

Encarta:
Information technology: processing of data via computer: the use of
technologies from computing, electronics, and telecommunications to
process and distribute information in digital and other forms

Compact Oxford English Dictionary:
Information technology: the study or use of systems such as computers and
telecommunications for storing, retrieving, and sending information.

American Heritage Dictionary:
Information technology: The development, installation, and implementation
of computer systems and applications.

Hutchinson Dictionary of Computers, Multimedia, and the Internet:
Information technology: Collective term for the various technologies
involved in processing and transmitting information. They include
computing, telecommunications, and microelectronics. The term became
popular in the UK after the Government's âInformation Technology Yearâ in
1972.

Word processing, databases, and spreadsheets are just some of the
computing software packages that have revolutionized work in the office
environment. Email and the internet have revolutionized business
communications, and not only can work be done more quickly than before,
but IT has given decision makers the opportunity to consider far more data
when making decisions.

--
Mike West

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList