RE: Define technical communicator's job

Subject: RE: Define technical communicator's job
From: "Tim Mantyla" <tim -dot- mantyla -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:23:07 -0400

Stoner's definition:

Dudes who...uh, write...and maybe they sometimes draw, those manual things
that dudes read for...mmm, for stuff they use? Oh yeah, chicks too. And i
think they like, use computers and stuff to do it.

Tim Mantyla

Communication - Creativity - Innovation

Post your comments and innovations at

> From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
> Sean Brierley wrote:
> > So, is this a good standard definition of a technical 's job:
> >
> > "Develop and design instructional and informational tools needed to >
> assure safe, easy, proper and complete use of technical goods. Combines >
> multi-media knowledge and strong communication skills with technical
> > expertise to educate across the entire spectrum of users' abilities, >
> technical experience, and visual and auditory capabilities."
> What about services as opposed to goods?
> And why limit it to *technical* goods? Aren't the instructions for
> non-technical consumer products written my technical writers?
> And the use of "tools" to describe what we develop and design bothers me a
> bit. I think of our deliverable outputs as products rather than tools. Tools
> are what I use to produce the deliverable products.
> Just my first impressions...

documentation. Boost your productivity!

or visit