Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 00:53:19 -0400

We don't have to send techwriters out into the wilderness to hone their
professional skills. Simple things such as document ownership, good
project management, displaying integrity, building relationships (with
SMEs and others), using good communication skills for more than just
documentation -- all of these are taught and/or enhanced in our program.
They all add up to professionalism, and I firmly believe that when you
conduct yourself in a professional manner no matter what the
circumstances, you usually engender respect for yourself and your position.

Professionalism includes being proactive -- if a deadline is at risk, it
doesn't matter whether it's a school assignment deadline or a
documentation deadline, learning how to handle that is part of the job.
Working with difficult people? We throw that at them too, in plenty of
group situations where students do not always get along like chums but a
high pressure project still needs to be delivered. Our students also
have to confront ambiguity of instructions, conflicting priorities,
changing expectations, occasional lack of resources, and other
situations that mirror what they'll find in the workplace. Hands on
education means exactly that -- they're at the wheel going very fast and
they'd better learn to steer. The obstacles occur not because we're
disorganized but because a) it's life, and b) we build in challenges
that allow them to see what can occur when real world projects go awry.

Granted, our program is post-graduate so students are expected to have
some degree of maturity upon admission, but they still could be right
out of university with no work experience. Mostly I tell them to trust
themselves, have confidence in the skills that they've learned, and to
take charge of their work assignments. In the 11 years we've been
graduating technical communicators, our students have turned out to be
pretty successful at doing that. Professionalism certainly can be taught.
--Beth

Beth Agnew, Professor
Co-ordinator, Technical Communication Program
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList