Variety in Tech Writing (was: Display, Displays, or Appears)

Subject: Variety in Tech Writing (was: Display, Displays, or Appears)
From: jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:09:58 -0400

I read Lauren's post as indicating that the usages only varied with different style guides and different corporate cultures. I assumed no variety inside of any one document set.
We tech writers tend to worship at the altar of consistency. Usually, this includes enforcing a "one word = one meaning and one meaning = one word" rule. Being boring is seen as enhancing clear communication.

Jim Shaeffer