Re: Time management issues

Subject: Re: Time management issues
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Holly Steele <hsteele1 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:38:47 -0400

Holly Steele wrote:
> What do people do to manage time? I am not the greatest time manager, but it
> is something I am trying to improve.
>
> Any suggestions?

Take the project, the estimation of which you do not understand, and
break it down into tiny pieces that you do understand. If you are at a
loss in choosing a smaller number or a larger one, choose the larger.
Resist any temptation to round anything down. Then take all the numbers,
and add'em up.

Feel aghast at the result, and resist the temptation to round down.
Instead, multiply by your fudge factor. This number is learned from
experience, and varies from about 1.5 to 10 or more. When told that you
can surely do the job with less time, money or other resources, stand
your ground. Indeed, multiply again by 1.2 for the extra cost that will
ensue in fighting the people trying to get Good, Fast, and Cheap all at
once.

Reissue your planning document (you DO have one?) with revised schedule
info whenever something changes.

Let us know how you fare. We can always use new values for our fudge
factors.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList