Publication guidelines - sharing, seeking suggestions & improvements

Subject: Publication guidelines - sharing, seeking suggestions & improvements
From: Tim Mantyla <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:37:42 -0400

Hi all,

I'm producing a sales training & reference online guide for my company's
sales staff. I also decided to document the documentation with a
publication guideline. The outline is below.

One reason for creating publication guidelines is to help future
contributors. Another reason is to make our publications more consistent
internally. I did this to help them maintain the publication in a way that
best serves its readers.

It's not clear yet who will maintain the publication after it's finished,
so I couldn't involve them in producing it, as Tom H. Johnson suggests in
"Social Rules for Creating a Style Guide," included below and published on
the TECHWR-L site.

If anyone has suggestions or ideas for content or organization, I'm open.

[TITLE]: Publication Guidelines & Resources

Section 1 Contributor's guidelines
Mission & goals
Maintain the publication
Social rules for creating a style guide (by Tom H. Johnson on TECHWR-L at
www.techwr-l.com/node/26/print)
Editorial conventions
English usage
Present the information ? best practices

Section 2 Style and formatting standards & conventions
Styles & formatting
Need for stylistic consistency
A template organizes & preserves styles
List of publication styles & formatting

Section 3 Software
Get started with the software
Template
Need for template
Help and support resources
Contacts

Section 4 Resources
Reference sources
Style guides
Dictionaries
English
Medical/technical
Other languages
Thesauri
Encyclopedias
Quotations

Whodunit ? list of publication contributors and principals
Online non-reference resources
Email lists, discussion groups
Technical websites and other resources

Thanks,