Re: Roundtrip, round trip, round-trip?

Subject: Re: Roundtrip, round trip, round-trip?
From: Odile Sullivan-Tarazi <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:45:18 -0700

On my mention of the software environment, it's just that we tend to
spell compounds such as this one solid before that usage becomes more
widespread. Many terms currently in mixed usage (open, hyphenated,
solid) appear as one word in our doc. If I were working within a
more conservative environment (academia, for instance), I would
expect such terms, where there was overlap, to be treated
differently. Not to mention that the whole style of writing --
sentence structure, level of diction, and so on -- would differ. But
that's another kettle of fish.

I'm seeing "roundtrip" spelled solid as a noun or and adjective more
and more frequently in our environment. It seems to be coming
together into one word, as have many compounds before it. I was just
wondering whether it was time for our group to follow suit.

A few examples . . .

The entity object will use the Oracle SQL RETURNING INTO feature,
while performing the INSERT or UPDATE to return the modified column
back to your application in a single database roundtrip.

When you want to reduce the number of roundtrips the iterator
requires to fetch the data objects from the view object in the
Business Components layer, you can set the rangeSize attribute to -1,
and the objects will be fetched in a single roundtrip to the server,
rather than in multiple trips as the user navigates through the
objects.

RowSet allows the developer to set a desired page-size, for example
10 rows, and page up and down through the query results in these
page-sized chunks. Since data is retrieved lazily, only data the user
actually visits will ever be retrieved from the database on the
backend, and in the client tier the number of rows in the page can be
returned over the network in a single roundtrip.

Punctuation is another element that bows, to some extent, to the
writing environment. In the U.S., journalists don't use the serial
comma, for instance, while those writing in an academic or technical
environment do. Brits often don't use a comma after an introductory
phrase or clause, while in the U.S. we do, particularly after a
clause.

Style and usage has some relationship to context.

Odile

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList