RE: OT - Wording of Announcements

Subject: RE: OT - Wording of Announcements
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Suzette Leeming'" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:28:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: techwr-l-bounces+al -dot- geist=geistassociates -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+al -dot- geist=geistassociates -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On
Behalf Of Suzette Leeming
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:55 AM
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: OT - Wording of Announcements

I know this is off topic, but I could use some help with the wording of an
announcement in the newspaper.

In an announcement, how does one refer to significant others when they are
not married? I am putting an announcement in the paper for my inlaws' 50th
wedding anniversary. In mentioning the grandchildren, I would like to also
mention their spouses and significant others.

Example: Grandchildren Joe Smith (wife Shelley), Mary Carter (husband Bill),
etc.

There are some grandchildren who are in long term relationships, but are not
married. How do I refer to them? The word "partner" seems too cold;
significant other is too long, companion makes me think of dogs, etc.

Could I say: Grandchildren Hank Jones (with Linda Black), Louise Jones (with
Brad Jones), etc.?

Please forgive me for the off topic post. If anyone can help me with this
wording, please reply to me offlist.

Thanks in advance,

Suzette Leeming
Stouffville, Ontario

--
"What I like to drink most is wine that belongs to others." - Diogenes

Need affordable web hosting? I recommend 1 & 1 - that's where I'm hosted!
http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=6815038

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/al.geist%40geistassociate
s.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList