RE: Formal training required for entry-level tech writing job?

Subject: RE: Formal training required for entry-level tech writing job?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Ben Givens" <bengiv -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:38:35 -0700

Ben,

Let's say you need to hire an entry-level programmer and you have
several applicants. They comprise the following: one applicant with a BA
in English and a background in technical writing, who has written some
basic Perl scripts for a few web sites; one applicant with a CSc degree
from Cal Poly, SLO, who does not have any professional experience; one
applicant with no formal education in CSc but experience as a developer
with several Fortune 500 companies; several other applicants who all are
educated in CSc (or at least engineering) and who have some experience
as professional software developers. Who would you call in for an
interview? Who would be at the very bottom of your list, considered only
as a last resort?

You seem to be overlooking two important facts. First, savvy hiring
managers know that most people think they can write well AND that most
people's best writing isn't good enough to publish. Second, good
technical writing requires as much education (formal or otherwise) and
skill as good programming--even at the entry level. Granted that, the
writing experiences you list are relatively meaningless.

Before anyone will take you seriously as a technical writer, you need to
take the profession seriously. Formal education is an excellent idea,
and, as Bonnie suggests, so is a portfolio. Once you can demonstrate
that you really can write, then your experience as a developer will be
an excellent asset.

Leonard