Re: Hard vs. Soft return

Subject: Re: Hard vs. Soft return
From: hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "Shannon Wade" <SWade -at- daktronics -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:28:01 +0000

Shannon

IMHO, a soft return is a formatting tool that has its uses
regardless of the topic--whether it is or isn't a software
manual is not particularly relevant.

I think of soft returns as tool to ensure the affected lines
break exactly where I want them to while at the same time
being considered by Word as part of the same paragraph.
I don't use them very often, but sometimes they are exactly
what's needed.

If you use paragraph styles in Word with space defined
before or after, there are occasions when hard returns
(paragraph breaks) result in awkward looking formatting.
Say you have an example of a street address in your
document. Hard returns after each segment create too
much white space between the lines.

Unless you often have this formatting need, why create
a specialized, seldom-used style? Soft returns
ensure that the segments of the address are tight
enough together.

(When you require that certain words or numbers always
stay together, like the segments of a date--as in July 1, 2008--
try a non-breaking space internally instead of a line break
before "July". You might also consider using Word's widow
and orphan controls in your styles. I've found them worthwhile
in reducing manual editing overhead.)

--
Heidi
hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net