RE: Hard vs. Soft return

Subject: RE: Hard vs. Soft return
From: Paul Hanson <phanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:46:40 -0500

Generically speaking, please *PLEASE* avoid manually formatting a doc with things like Ctrl+B to apply bold, Ctrl+I to apply italics, and Ctrl+U to apply underline, and soft returns. Set up a specific style for the appearance you want. Any time you want to do manual formatting, think about the overhead of manually maintaining that formatting and verifying that your soft returns didn't throw off your pagination. Additionally, think about the Tech Writer who is going to get your manuals after you're gone. Do you want to leave them a mess with a bunch of manually applied styles and soft returns to control formatting? Better, do you want to inherit a mess from someone else?

I can speak from my personal experience. I inherited a mess nearly a decade ago. The mess included soft page returns, Ctrl+B/I/U for bold/italics/underline, section breaks for no reason, manually typing the TOC and using hyperlinks, bookmarks, and cross-references instead of using styles... Define styles in a template.

Paul Hanson
Technical Writer
RoboHelp ACE - http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/robohelp.html
Quintrex Data Systems http://www.quintrex.com