Re: "using" as a verb in a task heading

Subject: Re: "using" as a verb in a task heading
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:48:43 +1000

Milan Davidovic wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- sun -dot- com> wrote:
>> Verbing the Noun
>> To Verb the Noun at the Command Line
>> To Verb the Noun Through the GUI
>>
>> If your documentation is entirely in print or in a help
>> outline structure, you might be able to get away with
>> not having to repeat the "verbing the noun" phrase as it
>> will be right there.
>
> And as it turns out, it's print only.
>
> Stripping out the verb and leaving it as Method A/B (per Leonard) is
> looking kind of good to me. Any other ideas?

Unless you are sure that the two method explanations will
be within a page or so of the title of the containing
section that contains the full verb, I recommend against
merely putting the two methods in the section titles with
no other context. Readers are likely to become confused
and disoriented, or at the very least might have to flip
pages to figure out what exactly they're supposed to be
accomplishing with each method. Also, if these methods
are also used elsewhere for other verbing activities,
then readers could get *really* disoriented if they keep
encountering "Method A" and "Method B" titles without
any indication of context.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList