Update - Job Definition

Subject: Update - Job Definition
From: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 03:24:16 +0200

I finally had the opportunity to talk a few seconds with my boss (and I am
not exaggerating when I am saying seconds). He didn't know what I wanted
from him when I requested the job description so I suggested that I would
write it and he would fix it. This was last Tuesday. Well, I didn't get
feedback until I sent him the mail back with a Cc. to his boss and the HR
manager. Then I got speedy feedback but no answer or confirmation. He wrote
that my mails bore too much impatience. Well, I guess that it may be
legitimate after I tried repeatedly to have him define my job, after trying
to set up a meeting with him senseless, and after he didn't answer my mail
for a few days.

In my mail, I demanded that he sets a weekly meeting, set up a list of
responsibilities, asked what kind of authority I had, if any, and borrowed
the nice sentence that somebody nice wrote on this forum:

In difficult cases (like I have experienced), do I have the right to
tactfully suggest, then tactfully persuade, and if both tactful suggestion
and persuasion fail, tactfully dictate? If that fails, bluntly dictate? If
that fails, coerce? If that fails, dismiss?

Well, he didn't like the "bluntly dictate" and therefore, he said that this
is something we needed to discuss. When he is around he is too busy with
other things, when he is abroad, he has to wait until he comes back.

I basically told him that it would be much simpler if he could define my job
and then let me to do it, that it would prevent crises. However, he said
that there are no crisis in sight. He does not know that I am truly at the
edge of my patience and that I have truly had it with this company.

Last week because I felt that I had had it, I went to speak with his boss
(who used to be my boss. He was handling things much better) and told him
everything I had on my heart and he was actually quite understanding of my
frustrations (at least he appeared to be understanding and surprised at a
lot of the things that happened and the way they happened). He asked me to
hang in there for another month. The truth is that I am just sick and tired
of this company and, while I really love my job, I feel that this
environment is so unhealthy that I have to remove myself from it. Besides,
what can already change in the space of a month? I am just so exhausted. I
really need to leave there and yet, I need to hang in there until I find
something else.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList