RE: Never lead with a graphic

Subject: RE: Never lead with a graphic
From: "Butler, Darren J CTR USAF AFMC 584 CBSS/GBHAC" <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>
To: "Rebecca Hopkins" <rebecca_hopkins -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:37:37 -0400

>>>It's just as you have illustrated...

1. Typical Data Flow
<diagram>
1.1 About the Data Flow Diagram<<<<

Well, I would consider the title of your section as "leading" the
section and not the graphic- and yes, I know that sounds simplistic.
As a rule, the only time I have a graphic lead-off a section is for my
Illustrated Parts Lists; it doesn't make sense to put the list of parts
before the picture.

I also think that in cases where you have several variations of the same
item (such as differing models or configurations), showing a graphic as
early in the section as possible would help the reader ensure he is in
the correct section. Making him read through two paragraphs of text
before he realizes that the info doesn't apply to the part that he
holding in his hand, isn't user-friendly.

My $0.02,
DJ

From: "Butler, Darren J CTR USAF AFMC 584 CBSS/GBHAC"
<Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>
> Can we also assume that your section has some sort of title that
orients
> the reader to subject that the graphic addresses?
> Ex.
> SECTION VI -- Sludge Pumps
>
> <photo of a sludge Pump>
> <text>
>

> DJ

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
or

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- robins -dot- af -dot- mil -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/darren.butler.ctr%40r
obins.af.mil

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList