RE: Single subheading allowed?

Subject: RE: Single subheading allowed?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Hemstreet, Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:39:14 -0600

Hemstreet, Deborah wrote:

> When we implemented a CMS (DITA) at one company, we had no choice. It
> gave all of us a case of nerves, but we were told that we could no
> longer have
>
> Title
> explanation of why you would need feature
> To do this:
> 1. lkj;k;
> 2. ;askjf;ladsj
> ================================
>
> We were forced to go over to
>
> Document Output
> Printing pages
> explanatory text
> Print Pages
> 1. ;asjdfkj
> 2. ;askjdf;lkdjf
> 3. ;jlkj;lkj
> ======================
>
> I HATED having to do this - it was longer, wasted space, and was
totally
> redundant in some cases, but it made DITA and our implementor
happy....

I'm having trouble understanding the difference because the two examples
aren't at all parallel. And my knowledge of DITA (and structure in
general) is pretty superficial. But I'm willing to bet that your
implementer's happiness was a far bigger factor than DITA. :-)

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.