RE: What's 1 to do?

Subject: RE: What's 1 to do?
From: "Chris Vickery" <cvickery -at- arenasolutions -dot- com>
To: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>, "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:05:22 -0700

I wonder if it's a leftover from typewriter days. One through ten would
be the most commonly typed numbers, and spelling them out would keep a
typist's fingers in the three rows of the keyboard to which they were
accustomed.

[/total guess]

Chris

From: techwr-l-bounces+sbrierley=accu-time -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

I've observed an alarming tendency for the numbers 0 through 10 to be
presented as digits, rather than as written-out numbers. Stylebooks (AP
is the one I remember best without looking anything up) invariably
recommended not using digits for those small numbers except when
appropriate, as in scientific work. Now as I read articles on the web,
supposedly professionally written, I come across lonesome digits in what

feels like 2 out of every 5 cases. It looks stupid to me. Have the rules

changed while I wasn't looking?

When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and 1.

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
or

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help. Help
& Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as sbrierley -at- accu-time -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/sbrierley%40accu-time
.com

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
or

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as cvickery -at- arenasolutions -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/cvickery%40arenasolut
ions.com

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
or

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- soleratec -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/leonard.porrello%40so
leratec.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList