RE: Vista capture problem

Subject: RE: Vista capture problem
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:39:15 -0700

> From: Sean Brierley

> Paint doesn't have a screen capture utility. Does Paintshop Pro?
>
> Cheers,
>
> SEan

> Hello,
> I am working with Vista for the first time and I was trying
> to get some
> screen shots. One of the items was a "User Account Control" pop-up. I
> tried Paint and PaintShopPro and neither one could "see" it.
> Apparently
> this is a security feature new to Windows in Vista. Wikipedia (search
> for "User Account Control") explains it to some extent and they have
> screen shots. Does anybody know a trick to capture one of these guys?

For Paint, use the Print Screen button on the keyboard to capture the entire
screen display or Alt + Print Screen to capture just the active window.
Cropping, resizing, area (rectangle or polygon) selection, and transparency
to some extent are available in Paint.

Paint Shop Pro does have a capture utility that is accessed from File >
Import > Screen Capture, and then Setup or Start if the utility is already
setup. There are quite a few capture options that are described in the Help
menu. Paint Shop suggests creating a toolbar button for users who will
frequently use the utility, although I don't know why they don't just
include the button by default.

> Why would Microsoft do that? Block certain screens? I mean, if you can
> open the particular screen to capture it, *clearly* you have the
> appropriate permissions ....

Maybe it's a copyright issue or Micro$oft is trying to block 3P software
from getting images. If 3Ps can't capture Windows screen shots, then users
will need to get their product and user information directly from Micro$oft.

If it is true that M$ is blocking 3P software, then even SnagIt, HyperSnap,
PhotoShop, or any other tool will not work. I do not understand why even
Paint will not work when that is an M$ product.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList