RE: Indices and not-indices

Subject: RE: Indices and not-indices
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Julie Stickler" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:58:34 -0400

Julie Stickler noted:
[...]
> Indexing doesn't need to take a lot of time. When I wrote my first
> manual (which weighed in at about 400 pages) I spent two days building
> and tweaking the index. And it doesn't have to be perfect right away.
> I plan two or three days for indexing a project, be it a manual or a
> help system. I usually do my indexing during that couple of days
> when the docs are out for review and I'm waiting for edits and
> comments to come back.

I didn't quite know what to make of that remark. Then I realized: two
different worlds...

In the days when my docs for a product release are out for review, I'm
doing the docs for a couple of other products that are at different
points in their schedules, planning the next several near-term release
schedules (the document part thereof), and attending various meetings.

I do what I can, when I can, to ensure that the index is more than just
a concordance, but I remember the "old days" when I actually worked for
days (here and there) to make a document's index:
a) large
b) comprehensive
c) useful.

I wonder how many Whirlers have actual planned gaps in projects where
they aren't working on different stages of several other projects,
simultaneously or in tightly interleaved fashion.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList