Re: Microsoft proficient?

Subject: Re: Microsoft proficient?
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Dawn Throener" <D -dot- Throener -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:13:04 -0700

Hi Dawn,

Proficiency in MS Office applications is really the starting point for any
technical writer, I believe. What "proficiency" means, exactly, as anyone's
guess—including the person(s) who write up job requirements such as these.
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint aside, knowing Visio is also useful for any
techwriter.

I'll let someone else weigh in regarding classes and such. For Adobe
applications, that company's "Classroom In a Book" series is very useful;
off the top of my head I don't know of anything M$-specific, though I might
take a look at Safari Books Online (read: O'Reilly) and see if there are any
comparable offerings there.