RE: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?

Subject: RE: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 13:45:59 -0700 (PDT)

Well, Kevin, it's like this...

Time was when our Silicon Valley area clerks did ask

"Do you want paper, or plastic?"

but more and more of late, I'm hearing no comma.

If I were to use capitalization to represent rising intonation, I'd render
the appropriate query as

"Do you want PAper, or PLAStic?"

di di di DAH di di DAH di (think Morse code)

but what keeps coming to my ears of late is more like

"Do you want paper-or-PLASTIC?"

di di di di di di DAH DAH

We use punctuation to help us represent several dimensions of spoken
Enlish that have no alphabetic orthography: pitch, pitch-change, stress,
pauses, ...

I wonder whether the clerks who don't "use the comma" can actually
carry a tune. They do not use the normal music of the spoken language.

--Guy
yadda yadda yadda

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/