Re: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?

Subject: Re: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:59:51 -0700 (PDT)

If you're having to study a new software package for their benefit, they pay for it. I'd say bill for the training time at 75% of normal.

Travel - you wouldn't be doing it if it weren't for their benefit, so you have to bill for it some way. You can bill the travel on time, mileage, or gas costs. If you bill by mileage, I think the IRS allows 58.5 a mile now. I'd say go by mileage, and use the mileage quoted in mapquest. They can verify the distance and the mileage rate, so that makes negotiations quicker and easier. They won't like you trying to bill on time - a boss with a really nasty suspicious mind might suspect you of deliberately driving more slowly than usual.