Re: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?

Subject: Re: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:09:45 -0700

I don't think a someone "needs" to have a specific
background, training or even experience. It is simply
that depending on what innate talents you have and
what particular field you want to be in, certain types
can make it easier than others to develop expertise
and convince others that you have it.

"In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for
Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But
I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant.
Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great
artist can come from anywhere."

(I haven't yet experienced a rat becoming a writer,
but I have had one or two cases where things sort
of went the other way around)

Gene Kim-Eng