Re: The "Perfect" Course of Study for a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: The "Perfect" Course of Study for a Technical Writer
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:58:34 -0500

See my additions :-) and note that I taught a technical writing certificate
program at the university level, so I am a little biased.

PT

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Karen <ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I was thinking what the "perfect" technical writing degree would consist of
> so that students would be the most marketable post-college. <snip>
> Here's my list:
>
> Writing Coursework:
> * English Composition/Grammar (all the complete basics)
> * Technical Writing
> - Policy and Procedures
> - Manuals and User Guides
> * Editing
> * Scientific Writing
> * Marketing Writing (Advertising/PR)
> * Business Communication & Report Writing

>> Mass Communications - History and Theory
>> Public Communications (Debate or Public Speaking)
>> Any psychology or socialology course oriented to how people function in
organizations

>> Fundamentals of Design (ART)
>> Web Design 101 (probably ART too, but may be in Business area)
>> Commercial or Advertising Art (Intro course that covers typography, use
of color, and so on)

> * Learning Theory
>
> Business Coursework:
> * Marketing
> * Small Business Ownership
> * Business Analysis (Including UML and other diagramming of processes)
> * Project Mananagement
>
> Technology

>> Introduction to Computer Science (overview course, covers history and
place in current society)

> * Microsoft Office (Including Access & Visio)
> * Pure HTML, CSS, Javascript (not WYSIWYG)
> * Introductory Programming (C++, Java, etc)
> * Publishing (Structured FrameMaker)
> * Web Development (Dreamweaver, Flash, etc)
> * XML/DITA
> * CBT/eLearning Tools (Captivate, Camtasia, Authorware, Director,
> Others???)
> * Online Help Tools (such as RoboHelp, Help & Manual, AuthorIT)
> * Graphics (Illustrator, etc)
>
> Also, consider what you think new graduates are lacking when entering the
> work force.

>> Portfolio and resume targeted to technical writing

> Can anyone else contribute to this list?
>

> Karen
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/ekarenbowen
> Yahoo IM: ekarenbowen -at- yahoo -dot- com MSN IM: ekarenbowen -at- msn -dot- com AOL IM:
> ekarenmariebowen
>
> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help gives you everything you need to author and
> publish quality Help, Web, and print content. Perfect for technical
> authors, developers, and policy writers. Download a FREE trial.
> http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make
money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them
so well that people can't take their eyes off you."

- Dr. Maya Angelou

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/