Re: Online storage?

Subject: Re: Online storage?
From: "Joey P" <joeyp2008 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 16:15:21 +0800

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Jerry Kindall <j -dot- kindall -at- tecplot -dot- com>wrote:

> Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net> writes:
>
> > I now have the problem that usually whatever I want to work on
> > is on the other computer. Also, having them both running simply to
> share
> > files between them once in a while seems like a waste of energy. ...
> > I am considering using an online "server" where I could store
> > all my file and have access to them from either laptop, and from
> > anywhere else, too, that has online access.
>
> I've been beta-testing Dropbox (http://www.getdropbox.com/) and like it
> quite a bit. It's been pretty reliable despite the beta status.
>
> It actually synchronizes your files among your subscribed PCs in
> addition to storing them on a remote server, so if the remote server
> does go away the worst you might have is some hassle figuring out which
> of your machines has the latest version of each file. They also give
> you Web-based access to your files, and they have both Mac and Windows
> sync clients. You can also share files from your dropbox with others
> (either specific people you designate, or with the public).
>
> Testers get 2GB of space. They haven't decided on pricing yet, but the
> service is free during the beta period.
>
> I do have a few beta invitations left if anyone wants to try it out.
> (Nancy, I'll reserve one for you if you want.)

I'm using Sugarsync, a similar thing. There's a free tryout of 10GB for 45
days, and various paid plans after that. I chose to stick with 10GB as
that's enough for me at the moment. That costs $24.99 per year.
http://www.sugarsync.com/products/

It's incredibly useful. I can access my files from anywhere. On computers I
own, I've installed the sync software, which unobtrusively keeps files
up-to-date. But if I'm on a public computer, I can also get to my files via
the web interface. I can even use my phone to email my files to people,
without the files actually having to be downloaded to the phone first.

They seem to be pretty good about improving the product in response to
feedback. Some users were concerned that if their phones were stolen, their
data could be compromised. The company will now remove any synced
computer/device from your setup if you send them an email. And there have
been a number of other improvements in the few months I've been using it,
such as better access to previous versions of your documents.

The only thing I'd like to see improved is the overall security - I don't
like the fact that it's just one password and you're in. But that goes for
the vast majority of online services including Gmail, Yahoo, and LinkedIn.
I'd really like to see something like the system my bank uses, whereby I
just enter certain letters of my password out of order, as prompted. So I
might be asked to enter the seventh letter, then the second, then the first,
then the fifth. That should in theory thwart keyloggers.

I've been hearing about Dropbox for a while, and I'm on the waiting list to
try the beta. But I wonder what it actually does that's better than
Sugarsync now. The main difference used to be Dropbox's support for
versioning, I think, but Sugarsync has now improved in that regard.

Joe

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/