RE: Agile working with offsite teams

Subject: RE: Agile working with offsite teams
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Sarah Blake" <Sarah -dot- Blake -at- microfocus -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 07:56:36 -0700

Sounds like a difficult situation, but you might be able to make it
work.

A company I worked for previously used Agile for a $24 million pharmacy
management application project, and we used teleconferencing to
facilitate daily scrums comprising team members in several locations
around the country. Since several team members were remote, we had a
"scribe" (usually me) capture all of the details of the scrums. These
were sent to scrum members daily and went into Lotus Notes for future
reference. The practice of capturing minutes is somewhat contrary to the
spirit of Agile, but doing so helped ensure that everyone (including
primarily visual learners) shared the same understanding--or that, at
least, was the theory. We used NetMeeting when graphics or
demonstrations were required.

I have to add that the project failed and the company is no longer in
business. Trying to use Agile with a team was scattered to the four
corners of the earth contributed no small part to that failure. Agile
was a very poor methodology choice for that project.

It might not be so bad if only you (the writer) are remote and are a
good auditory learner.

Leonard