Re: Single Sourcing in Framemaker

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing in Framemaker
From: "Caroline Tabach" <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Ronquillo, Michael" <mronquillo -at- equitrac -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:40:44 +0300

I have also user conditional text successfuly.
Once you get a certain amount of information that is repeated, I found
it much more dangerous (I could miss information) to maintain
duplicate files.
However, the most important thing is to document what you have done.
I have text files in each book directory reminding myself of what to
do when publishing the books.
One of the reasons is that the same chapter is a chapter once, and an
appendix another time.
I was told that it is best not to conditionalize words, but better
sentences or paragraphs.
The secret is probably to work out what the previous person did.
Each person thinks what they did is clear and simple, but the next
person who comes along might not find it so.
If you have some more specific queries, I am sure there are people who
will know the answer.

It sounds like you should set this to show all conditions.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Ronquillo, Michael
<mronquillo -at- equitrac -dot- com> wrote:
> The previous Tech Writers at my company single sourced a book for three
> brands. I'm finding it a huge chore with conditional text, mainly with
> respects to spacing and hard returns. As the books get larger it's even
> more of a chore because I have to find every single instance. I wish it
> was just show/hide conditional text, and bam your book does not have to
> be inspected.
>

> Having said that, has anyone ever successfully single sourced books in
> Framemaker? Is it even worth your time, or should I just create separate
> books for each brand to save the headaches and time?
>

> TGIF!
>

> Michael Ronquillo
>
> Technical Writer - Equitrac
>
> 1-800-472-9532 x2334
>
> mronquillo -at- equitrac -dot- com

> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help gives you everything you need to author and
> publish quality Help, Web, and print content. Perfect for technical
> authors, developers, and policy writers. Download a FREE trial.
> http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/caroline.tabach%40gmail.com

Caroline Tabach
Technical Writer
e-mail: caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/