RE: Introduction

Subject: RE: Introduction
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Dan Goldstein'" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:53:06 -0700

> From: Dan Goldstein

> > From: John Posada

> > ... If someone is going to compete with me on knowledge I've
> > worked hard for, I want them to prove they have the
> > knowledge, not just by saying so and not just by including
> > the one piece they've ever faked their way through in their
> portfolio.
>
> Certification won't "prove" they have the knowledge, John.

I'm not interested in the debate of the value of certification, although I
believe that well-structured certification has value. As far as the current
issue is concerned, I think that there is an issue of semantics with the
word and concept, "prove."

The act of proving oneself through certification is not proof in itself, but
it is a weight on the side of qualifications and "knowledge." There are
many ways to prove one's knowledge. The first is the development of a
résumé that accurately fits the job and includes appropriate industry terms
and skills. Other forms of proving oneself include, in no particular order,
the list that follows.