Re: Single Sourcing in Framemaker

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing in Framemaker
From: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Ronquillo, Michael" <mronquillo -at- equitrac -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 08:55:48 -0400

> Having said that, has anyone ever successfully single sourced books in
> Framemaker? Is it even worth your time, or should I just create separate

We don't SS our books for brands, but we do for OSs and it works quite
well. Any content that is OS specific is conditionalized for Windows,
Linux, Solaris, and we used to conditionalize for AIX abd HP Unix, but
we don't support those OSs any longer. This includes boilerplate,
content, and command lines.

> books for each brand to save the headaches and time?

All you will be doing is swapping headaches and time....and adding the
introduction of mistakes because you'll have that much more conternt
you need to keep in sync between brands manually.

Conditionalizing works. You just have to learn to get it right. It's
worth the effort.

--
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

'Half this game is ninety percent mental.'
-- Danny Ozark, Philadelphia Phillies manager

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/